In our work with small business retailers we provide advice on website development, often before the website is created. This advice is based on our own Xperience as well as the experience gained in service of other retailers.
Here is up to date advice for any retailer considering a website for their retail business.
We are not usual POS software company. We are retailers too, with 3 shops. The advice we share here is based on what we have done in one of our small shops, a high street business in Mount Waverley Victoria.
Advice for small business retailer going online.
We received an online order the other day in one of our own retail shops at 1:33pm worth $800.00. It was one of 12 online orders for that business yesterday totalling $1,800 in value.
Each one of these orders that we are receiving right now is a pre-order – fully paid for up front for stock that is another week away from arriving in-store and two months away from being paid for by us. It is the nature of the specific product category that products are released to a calendar schedule.
The specific products are not relevant to what we share here today as what we share below could apply to plenty of products and product categories – in many different retail situations. What we have done in this two and a half year old suburban high street business is what anyone could do and what I know some retailer colleagues are doing to win online sales.
- Create your online presence as a start-up business. My recommendation is that you not take your existing shop online under your existing shop’s branding. Big businesses, of course, take their retail brand online as they think shoppers search for them. In fact, shoppers search for product outcomes.
- Choose a product niche or category that is sought after, that is being searched for. This could be a brand, a licence, an end use or some other segmentation that makes sense to the shopper.
- Look for brands and categories people could be loyal to for some time.
- Source key suppliers. Preference suppliers who might work with you on geographically exclusive items.
- Register a domain and business name that speaks to the shopper for the chosen category.
- Develop your approach to packaging and shipping, remembering that this process has to be delivered as a brand extension. Add value here and you will bring them back.
- Create a site that serves the shopper.
- Include on the website unique knowledge / information that lifts you up as an expert in the product category field.
- Include a chat facility on the site, so you can answer questions from people who do not want to email or call with their queries.
- Create a separate Facebook page to support the website. Regularly feed contact to that page, content specifically for that page.
- Ask your suppliers to link to your website and appreciate them for any promotion they offer on their social media pages.
- Search out other social media pages that reach your target shopper and engage with those communities.
- Email shoppers, appreciating their business. Find ways to remain connected with them as this connection can help bring them back.
Our advice for the first step revenue goal with online for any business entering that space has to be 5% (or less) of total revenue. Once there, the next goal is 10%, then 15% and so on. Goals are important. While the ultimate goal will vary by business category, it is vital to have a staring point.
Treat your online business as a start up. Manage it as such. Embrace mistakes and failures as they are the foundation bricks to success – cliché yes, but true.
- Do you have to stock in your shop products you sell online? No. I say this as many retailers think the answer is yes. Seriously, think of your online business as a start up – doing this frees you to be more open to what you sell.
- Can I put my existing shop online though? Of course. It’s 100% up to you.
- Isn’t shipping hard? Offer what enough people want and shipping can be resolved by building it into the price or you looking at online as cream sales, sales from which you can give up some margin.
Our POS software company develops websites for small business retailers. While what we have shared here does relate to the online success at my high street shop, it is the same advice we provide all retailers who contact Tower Systems querying about website development.