Beyond our POS software and the advice we provide to our customers on its use is the general retail advice we provide. Often, this is advice that has nothing to do with our POS software. here is an example from a couple of weeks ago. It’s advice on visual noise.
How to reduce visual noise in your shop.
If you give your customers too many things to look at inside or outside your business, they will notice less. Your choices show them what you want them to look at
Less is more. Have less visual noise, less visual pollution, and more will be noticed.
Show your customers what you want them to notice by giving that product, range or display fresh air (visually) around it.
Stand at the door of your business and scan around counting the signs you can read and displays you can see. How many are there? More messages, more signs = less noticing them. yes, less is more.
Here is advice for less visual noise in your business:
- Edit. Every few days stand at the front of the shop and review your signage and edit the mix.
- Posters. Do not put up magazine or newspaper posters. There is no evidence doing so increases sales.
- Housekeeping notices. Have all customer notices, such as your exchange policy, discount voucher policy, minimum eftpos charge etc, all in the one unobtrusive place.
- Call to action signs. If you have items on sale or discounted, place them all in the one location, a designated sale location in your business, with simple and professional signage.
- Product signs. For product signage in-store, be consistent in style and look. Smaller signs next to products will work better than big signs from the ceiling – how often do your shoppers walk in looking up anyway?
- Colour block. Colour blocked product is more appealing to the eye, it looks less messy, less noisy.
- The counter. Again, edit for clarity, edit for focus on the messages that really matter.
Reducing visual noise will improve the experience for your shoppers and for those who work in the business. It will focus everyone on what you decide matters the most right now.
This is part of an extensive package of business management advice newsXpress provides its members.
Thanks to our retail experience, we are able to provide suggestions b beyond the POS software. This is another differentiating factor for us, for which we are sincerely grateful.