Like any Saturday, today has been busy helping local small business retailers. In between, we took an opportunity to write an in the moment email with our top advice for selling online. The email we sent explains itself …
The 4 free how to sell online using Shopify for small business retailers workshops we hosted almost 2 weeks ago were appreciated by plenty.
Based on the questions and feedback, here is our top advice, our most important advice for local small business retailers about selling online:
- It’s urgent. Every retail business needs to be online. You have no idea what you are missing. Online should be at least 10% of your revenue now.
- Your POS software should manage your inventory, including what you sell online. This saves time and manages consistency.
- Start small, focussed. Don’t obsess about getting the whole business on. The sooner you start the sooner you will get experience and this will feed your evolution.
- It’s hard work. If you seek and embrace short cuts, they will come at a. cost. Lean into the hard work. get it done.
- Shopify is better than WooCommerce. A WooCommerce website usually costs more to maintain. hey, we’ve been doing this for many years and have used both, and Magento. Shopify gives you more control and requires less tech skills.
- Don’t overthink shipping. A complex approach to shipping will negatively impact your online sales.
- Accept all payment types. Credit card, PayPal, Buy Now Pay later – they all serve a purpose. Make sure you are flexible.
- You are your best asset. Your knowledge about your products is your best asset. It is differentiating. Leverage it on your website in the text write and the blog posts you publish. This is what will attract shoppers.
- Describe for the search. In a shop, people browse based on what they see. Online, people start browsing by typing in text. Think about this when they describe what they sell.
- Own your complexity. If you choose to have a complex offer or a complex approach to selling online, it’s your complexity. Don’t rely on a web developer or a tech person to make it easier for you. Making it easier starts with you making decisions about your business.
If you are interested in our POS software or having us develop a POS software connected Shopify site for you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 662 957.
Click here to find out more about our specialty retail POS software. Click here to see our YouTube Channel where you can see up to date demonstrations of our various specialty retail POS software products.
Click here to access our fixed-price standard POS software connected Shopify website quote.
Click here to see the checklist we provide our Shopify customers. It outlines what’s critical about preparing for a Shopify site.
Click here to access our website customer questionnaire. This is designed to help you clarify your needs. A copy of your responses is sent to you.